Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Call



          As a writer seeking to sell a long work, I’ve heard these words repeatedly: “Keep going because someday you’ll get a call that will change your life.” Believing this has sustained me in the dozen years since I eased away from business writing and started writing for myself. 
The universe has spoken. Over spring break, I got the call that will change my life. I was with my family at Disneyland, the happiest place on earth.
Let me paraphrase what the caller said: “You have breast cancer.”
          I feel anger. Not about the cancer, but about the writing. After the initial shock of the diagnoses, my emotions have puddled in that tender spot. What the hell am I doing, spending years of my life waiting for someone to acknowledge me? I’m weary of sending out my novel and screenplays to agents and editors and competitions and getting “no,” “not at this time” or “sorry, but we’re unable to use.” I’m tired of people who request my work and don't bother to read it -- or to read it in its entirety. I’m tired of powers-that-be unable to see what I’m made of and unwilling to partner in publishing. Most of all, I’m tired of no audience.
So accept my apologies, but I can’t go and listen to your book reading tonight or tomorrow or next week. I’m tired of being overlooked. I’m scared that when all is said and done, my life’s work will amount to a file cabinet of ad copy, catalog blurbs and workplace stories along with a sad assortment of journals, some published short pieces and a sheath of jottings and scribbles.     
Here’s my truth: my novel and my screenplays are worthy of being published or optioned. Here’s my other truth: I don’t feel bitter about the cancer.
I’ve been healthy for 57 years. I was healthy when neighbors around the corner lost their little boy. I was healthy when a parent my age (whom I had planned to get to know better) succumbed to a rare cancer in a little over a month’s time. I was healthy when one of my best friend’s sons was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma at age 18 and another friend’s daughter with pancreatic cancer about the same time. I’ve been healthy while my sister-in-law struggled with colon cancer and another with digestive disease. I’ve been healthy while people around me have soldiered through one health challenge after another. I’ve been lucky in all ways health.
It appears it’s simply my turn to face this challenge.    
So far my prognosis is good. My annual mammogram caught the spots early and thus far, they’re limited to one side. The oncologist says, “I will cure you, but the next year will be a test.”  There’s chemo, starting this week, followed by a mastectomy and then radiation. I look at it as The Hero’s Journey, the mythological structure inherent in stories since the start of time. 
I got the Call to Adventure at Disney after waiting an hour for the pre-scheduled call on a sunny bench in a relatively quiet corner of Frontier land. I’ve Refused the Call a number of times since, starting the night I nuzzled close to my husband and whispered in his ear, “I’m scared.” I've met kindly and capable Mentors at Good Samaritan Hospital and Oregon Health Science University (OHSU) in Portland. They include a surgeon, an oncologist, a nurse coordinator and a deep soul who drew my blood and said she’d pray for me. I’ve had chest x-rays and in-depth nuclear imaging; the cat scan and bone scan come tomorrow.
I’m prepping to Cross the Threshold into a new place. I’ve been concerned about the Threshold Guardians, a.k.a. the insurance company. They’re big scary beings, especially when you’re self-employed, access medical care infrequently and have high deductible insurance. I’ve been working at containing my worry.
My greatest fear is they'll say: "sorry, Gail, you don’t get the chemo. You don’t get to live." I can’t bear to hear another “no” or “not at this time” or “sorry, but we’re unable to…” and I’m shocked how desperately I want that chemo. I’m shocked how quickly I’ve got my head around the C word. How easy it is to agree to fill one's body with chemicals, having a body part lopped off and to radiate one's flesh.  All I want is to get on with the journey. 
I couldn't bear to make the insurance authorization call so my husband made it for me.   
For now at least, we got a ‘yes.’ Thursday, I enter the Special World of chemo.

                                                ---

14 comments:

  1. My wise and courageous friend ...

    AR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such personal feeling with the world. You are a courageous woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you're making this journal and this journey public; as always, your writing shines. Those publishers have no idea what they're missing and your cancer can go suck it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend, Jennifer Thomas, alerted me to your Blog. Cheers to you for having the strength to speak Your Truth!! It is very freeing!! This absolutely wonderful, and I will Share it, too, in the hope that our sisters and brothers on the planet may be inspired to follow your lead! Seeing you in Perfect Health & Happiness! - Now, time to laugh and laugh a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing....thank you for reminding me that there is so much to be thankful for in everyday life. Thanks for the times when we have out health. And, thanks for reminding us that sometimes our number comes up and to handle it with grace, is certainly my goal. You are a shining example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes through your Hero's Journey, Gail. I'll be thinking about you and sending good vibes your way both about your health and the writing. Also, what Corinne said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A hero's Journey, indeed. You're about to enter the unknown and, yes, there will be many helpers, true mentors, and the scariness of the hairy monster of the insurance company and other unknowns. But, just as every hero does, you'll come out to the "new normal" and everything will be different and your eyes will see with renewed vision: the things that matter, the things to let go, the things that make us happy, the things we want and will fight for. Fight on, hero! We're all here to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail,

    I never know what to say when these things happen. But, I know you have a strong family that loves you and will support you. And, your Lesley family loves you very much and will cheer you on throughout your journey.

    Gail, you are a smart, brave and beautiful woman and you will come out on the other side even more so. Just know that we send you love, strength and hope.

    With love and respect,

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail, I hope there are others who have gone on this journey before you who will make themselves known to you, to give you encouragement and strength. You can do this. Sending hugs and prayers across the miles.... --Deb in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gail. You are a beautiful writer. I completely agree with Corinne about the publishers, and then some! And yes, now is a time for the positive answers, not the negative ones. I see here from this group of responses that you have strength in friends as well as in family. Pay heed to that. We are all thinking of you and wishing the best outcome. And writing of this journey is exactly what you should be doing. Just the writing itself is a brave thing. Thank you for sharing and know that we'll be out here to support you. All best my friend. - Karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend, this entry is glowing with your courage to face the journey. Thank you for inviting us along.

    Signe

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so strong mom and I'm so proud of you. I'm always here to support you. hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail-

    I just saw this post on facebook and clicked the blog. Once I read the first few lines, I had to sit down in our old recliner . . . .dinner can wait. There are tears in my eyes and I want to call you tonight. I wish I could give you a hug. I am celebrating 10 years this spring, so please think of me as you slug your way through this journey. I loved hearing the good outcome stories when I was terrified at the beginning. I'll try calling tonight or in the next few days. Hugs from the midwest to you. sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Gail
    Courage is your best friend. new days of healing and joyous fulfillment await you. The best is yet to come.
    See you soon.
    _Junsu

    ReplyDelete