Friday, May 3, 2013

I'm special





     Yesterday was another twist to my story.
     I had the option to stop chemo.
     My case is complicated. My doctor is being fully transparent. There’s background buzz among the extended experts behind my case. There is not consensus as to what they’re dealing with. If we were talking about a book, buzz would be a good thing.
     Warning: this is a more medical posting.
     Eighty percent of breast cancers are Ductal. The other 20 percent consist of a variety of cancers, Secretory Breast Cancer being one of them. Secretory Breast Cancer is rare. It generally hits women in their mid 20s and is highly treatable. Mine was identified by the pathologist as “having Secretory features” versus being “Secretory” which apparently is an important distinction because “features” means it could contain some other combo of breast cancers. Because of that factor, chemo was recommended before surgery to kill any and all potentially flighty cancer cells.
     My “case” was brought to the Tuesday “tumor board” (yes, they have a tumor board!) early on and consensus was reached. My doctor also consulted with other oncologists and pathologists not at the board. Then my “case” was discussed at a cancer conference (talk about exposure!) last week and was classified by some as “Secretory” which means the chemo was not necessary, at least not as a first treatment plan. Others feel you cannot be sure exactly what you are dealing with until you do surgery and get it out, rather than go by the pathology sample.
     “So it’s an evolving science then?” I asked and my doctor said, “not in most cases.”  I guess this makes me special. 


     She laid out the options. We could halt chemo.  Do the surgery now. Get the absolute answer as to what this is. Resume chemo if necessary afterwards.
     The negatives of this course?  It’s not good form to halt chemo. If we need to resume chemo, there’s a chance the body would have built up resistance to it and it wouldn’t be effective.
     The negatives of continuing chemo even if I don’t need it? The side effects. There aren’t long term side effects, she said, but it’s a matter of how I’m handling this now. I’m handling it fine now. I’ve lost my hair, but I’ve already accepted that. And so have my kids as long as I don’t take off my hat or wig.  I’m getting steroids for five days so I get to pretend I’m a hero like Lance (hence this 4 a.m. posting). I know there’s a potential for intestinal issues after my three days of anti-nausea medicine. I know not to eat a big fat Greek gyro with feta that first medication-free day. I now know the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) to calm things if need be. My friend who went through this 10 years ago said chemo was three days of being drugged and then she was fine. I expect the same.
     I’m good.
     I’m staying the course. I’m already halfway through.
     My doctor said there shouldn’t be any more surprises.
     We’ll see. :)
             

No comments:

Post a Comment