Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Magical Realism



     I believe in holding fast to dreams. That's why in February, I started a six-month online screenwriting intensive with a Hollywood maverick and a cohort of 35 writers from across the country. There were daily assignments with a 24-hour turnaround. I conceived 50 ideas, stalked friends and family for their feedback, chose one high concept and began outlining a feature length screenplay. It was fun and I made good headway.
     Since Easter, I’ve been derailed. I'm backlogged 20-plus assignments. Life has been interrupted. My oncologist warned me of this.
     But I’m thinking this could be the part of the Hero’s Journey where the ‘personal movie’ I’ve been blogging kicks it into another gear. It could be like the film “Adaptation” where things really get weird. Or simply the part where I up the action because action is what heroes do. Action makes people feel good.
     I’m feeling great and I’ve got 9 days before my next chemo treatment will knock me down a notch. I’d like to pick up where I left off with my project and see how much headway I can make.
     This I know: creativity works in wondrous ways particularly when you are open to the possibilities.
     In January I was compelled to paint after not touching a paintbrush to canvas for 30 years. I did two landscapes inspired by photos taken on our Christmas trip to Wisconsin.  In both paintings, I strayed from reality and added characters. The one on the left depicts the heart of the farm, a decomposing old barn, and inspired Amish folk, including a child in a red coat reminiscent of my daughter Mattie’s at age 4. I see breast when I look at that barn now -- and light on the other side. The one on the right inspired me to paint a man looking at a barn, which casts a shadow like a church. The man has just made a snow angel. The man reminds me of my Dad, who I lost five years ago. It’s like he’s there for me. 

 
           
     In my screenplay in the works, my heroine Dabny is the new first lady of the United States. She’s a dabbling, artsy type who needs an initiative and is hassled by the press secretary to get one. Instead, she’s distracted by historic paints she finds in the bowels of the White House. The magic begins when she discovers that whatever she paints comes true -- and she sets out to change the world.
     That's the premise. I need to see where this goes.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment