Sunday, June 2, 2013

Beyond the usual side effects




Chemo can have side effects beyond the usual ones of general malaise and crankiness. These are disconcerting (okay, creepy) because they underscore the message that one’s body is no longer within one’s control.
After my first treatment, it took two weeks for my skin to recover from the tape at the IV site.
            Unrelated, ten days after my second treatment, I started itching all over and broke out in hives. After a couple days I took Benadryl and after three more days it went away. I’ve since learned skin sensitivity is fairly common with chemo.
            Just before my last treatment a distinct red mark appeared on my arm. Depending on one’s viewing direction, it looked like a parrot with a little hat or a dove in flight or maybe a king’s crown. Before the chemo session was over, it began to fade. In the writing world, we’d call it a shape-shifting character. The involuntary tattoo is gone now and I am thankful.
            Also before my third treatment, I noticed a quarter-sized knob at the previous IV site at the wrist. The doctors say it’s a blood clot (superficial thrombophlebitis) resulting from leakage of chemo chemicals or blood from the vein, which is smaller at the wrist. The problem is the knob is hard and sizable and not changing. The oncologist says it may be there for months or longer. What’s more, my vein may never be the same. I’ve taken the prescribed antibiotics like a dutiful patient. I’ve also been doing hot compresses, which seem to have a temporary positive effect, but nothing lasting.
My primary ‘hero’ action, which I took at the third treatment was a directive to the nurse: stay away from the smaller veins on my wrist or hand. Apparently these veins are used often and without incident, but I won’t let anyone risk this again.
My second action is to listen to Ron, a.k.a Dr. do-it-yourselfer. He introduced me to one of his secret remedies a few years ago for when my feet ache. (This remedy may sound laughable but when the joints on your feet hurt, you’ll try anything.) Here’s the treatment: Ron wraps my feet at night in duct tape. I wake up the next morning and they are as good as new. He shared this miracle treatment with his mother, who has knee issues, at Christmas time and she’s now a believer of the duct tape wrap. For those of you who know Ron, you know he has duct tape at the ready. He’s also a recovering athlete, who had years of experience with athletic wraps for injuries. The duct tape works in a similar fashion; it keeps the heat in, keeps the wound area warm. In short, we have it on hand. We use it.  And my skin does not react to duct tape. 


I even have fashion colors of duct tape on hand from prior craft projects. I’m using a skin color and I’m keeping my wrist knob covered at all times; I’ll report later on whether it works. I'm hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment