Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Count down and around


     It’s been interesting to see the stats on this blog. I’ve had readers from every continent except Africa. This encourages me to share information that others going through a similar journey might find helpful. Consider passing on the link if you find something worth sharing (or if you know someone in Africa). 
     I thought I could write about this journey honestly and without self-editing because it’s not like I’m baring family secrets as many nonfiction writers do.  The act of writing this blog is more about baring me.
     Still, unless one is a hermit, others are always involved. And there are places I won’t go.  For example, I won’t go into detail about my kids and how they’re handling or not handling my situation. Perhaps that’s a story for sometime down the road. Maybe it’s theirs to tell.
     I will tell you my writing energy has waned as I await the Ordeal that is eight days out. My focus is off.  I suppose this speaks to the emotional part of this journey.  That and the distractions. 
     The lengthy call from the pre-admissions nurse yesterday was one of those distractions. She covered medical history, drugs, pre-surgery instructions, including detailed shower, linen and clothing steps. She peppered me with queries. Are you feeling sick?  Have you been around anyone with a contagious disease? Have you or a family member ever had a blood clot in your leg? Will you allow a blood transfusion in the event of an emergency? Do you want a chaplain to speak with you the morning of? Are you feeling suicidal?  Have you ever reacted to anesthesia?
     No. No. No. No. No. No. Yes.
     I can tell you about the surgery specifics. How I will have a nipple-sparing mastectomy on my left breast. This, as I understand it, is a nifty and advanced procedure. After, I’ll have a cleanly deflated breast. The plastic surgeon will follow during the same surgery session and insert a tissue expander under my chest wall. I’ll have drains for a few days near the incision line. Over the coming months, the expander will be filled on an outpatient basis. When the expansion is complete, it’s replaced with a permanent implant in an hour-long procedure. If adjustments need to be made to my right side, it’s done later.
     If that felt like TMI (too much information) I can tell you that’s the abbreviated version. It happens next Tuesday. I go home on Wednesday.  I’m looking forward to getting this behind me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment