Sunday, November 17, 2013

One-Knee Focus



     If a man gets down on one knee in front of you, it is serious business. It signifies he cares deeply about what he’s about to say or do.  I remember the times in my life when this happened.
    Once, a charming waiter at a tiny restaurant on the Oregon coast dropped to one knee, got up close and described in savory detail and a soft voice, the offerings on the evening’s menu. He had a compelling accent, Greek perhaps, that made me swoon and my husband Ron roll his eyes. There was no mistaking this was more than charm: the meal that followed was exquisite.   
     Other times included last week (and last July) when another gentleman, my plastic surgeon Dr. Yale Popowich, kneeled before me and drew on my breast with a purple marker. This focused and serious effort was part of the pre-operative procedure. The surgeries that followed were positive and finessed.
     Thursday’s surgery was uneventful. Aside from being assigned to room 13 for pre-op, having veins which refused to offer blood (poke number three was a charm), everything went as planned. I arrived at 6:30 a.m. and was out of post-op room 25 wrapped in a chest bandage by 12:30 p.m.  I’ve popped a pain pill here and there, but all is well and it’s all behind me now.

    To top off the relative ease of this experience, my husband Ron kneeled at my bedside and rubbed my shoulders a couple times since. I realize I don’t always comment on the times he drops to one knee. Sometimes I don’t even notice. Right now, though, my awareness is heightened. I understand the serious business of dropping to one’s knees.  And I seriously appreciate it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment